CTA Pathology Nail Resources for Clinicians
Periodic Acid-Schiffs Stain (P.A.S.) Stain for Nails
- Place a small amount of Gelatin in water bath.
- Using positively charged slide, pick up desired sections.
- Place in 60 deg. C oven for 30-60 minutes.(More time for “difficult” specimens)
- Deparaffinize slides using Xylene or Xylene substitutes and hydrate through alcohols.
- Rinse slide in running tap water.
- Rinse slide in distilled water.
- DO NOT “DIGEST” SLIDES!!!
- Place slide in 1% Periodic Acid for 12 minutes.
- Rinse slide quickly in distilled water.
- Place slide in Schiffs Solution for 15 minutes.
- Rinse slides in warm tap water for 5 minutes.
- Place slide in Light Green Stain as needed to reach desired background intensity.
(Approx. 30 seconds)
- Dehydrate slide through 3 changes of Absolute Alcohol.
- Clear slide through 3 changes of Xylene or Xylene substitute.
- Coverslip using permanent mounting media.
Basement membrane, Fungi, Glycogen and Mucin: PINK TO RED
Other tissue: Green
American Master Tech Scientific, Inc. “PAS Kit Procedure.”
|Nail Requisition [PDF]